Friday, June 13, 2008

Rest in peace, Tim Russert

From now on, something will be missing from my Sundays.

As a journalist, I looked up to him. As a political junkie, I turned to him for information. As a middle class Catholic family man from rough-and-tumble upstate New York, I identified with him.

He spoke at a commencement ceremony at my college, The College of Saint Rose. I sat wide-eyed in the presence of a such a giant in journalism. I remember thinking about how I wanted to a reporter and how I'd be happy if in my career people might respect me half as much as they respected him.

I always admired how he never forgot where he came from, and how that place, and the people in it, permeated every question he asked.

I feel for Luke. I know what it's like to lose your dad, your hero, suddenly and too soon.

Deepest condolences to the Russert family, from someone who Tim Russert, through his extraordinary professional example, inspired to do her best.







No comments:

Bookmark and Share